August 18, 2008

Chairman says no to public participation

I mentioned in the August 10th post that the public would be able to participate in the Citizen's Advisory Panel Meetings. This assumption was based upon the format of the Communications Committee meetings that were held last fall. The public could attend the committee meetings and ask questions, or would be asked for input on certain matters. I assumed this would be the case as well.

Yesterday, the Chairman informed me he absolutely does not want any public participation at these police merger panel meetings. While the public can attend meetings, they will not be able to speak. I am posting this information as I had stated otherwise in an earlier entry. As an advocate for open government, I still encourage the public to attend these meetings and welcome any input via phone calls or emails.