February 12, 2008

What's really going on: police merger talks

I've been fielding a lot of calls recently regarding the Police Department merger proposals that are being submitted by Appleton Police Department and Outagamie County Sheriff's Department. There has been some confusion, partly, I think due to a headline in the Post-Crescent entitled Appleton, Grand Chute merger ready for a 'test drive.' Even I had to do a double take at this headline, as it can be construed as a merger is a done deal. Needless to say, my phone was ringing off the hook early Saturday morning by some very upset residents and police officers, thinking the Appleton proposal had been accepted and was going through.

To clarify, the article was in response to the Appleton Police Department releasing their proposal before the February 11 deadline for town submission. Further adding to the confusion, Outagamie County Sheriff's Department submitted their proposal by the February 11 deadline, but has not received any coverage in the newspaper as of this posting. In any event, Town Supervisors have received full copies of this report on Monday. Supervisors were orginally slated to receive only staff recommendations with this Friday's report, but I requested last month to receive the reports in their entirety on the due date.

I want to make the public aware of the upcoming process. Town Supervisors are reviewing the reports received Monday, February 11. The Town staff will submit their recommendations to the Town Board on Friday, February 15th. The Town Board will meet in closed session Thursday, February 21 to discuss the reports.

I'd like to hear your opinions regarding a possible merger. Please email or call me with your thoughts and concerns. I will let you know what I think after our closed session meeting.