January 10, 2008

The evolution of town communication

Today's editorial in the Post Crescent addressed the recently distributed communication report. It contained a nice overview of the committee's recommendations, and also offered an opinion on what was lacking.

The following is an exerpt:

"...But the complaints the board and town officials received also had a personal component that the committee's recommendations don't address. People simply didn't like how some board members and town officials dealt with the public.

The board and town can set up all the tools they want to try to improve communication, but if the officials using those tools don't change their personal approach to working with the public, nothing's going to change.

With these recommendations, the town may improve on getting its messages out to residents. It remains to be seen, though, if town officials got the message residents gave them."

While I don't expect individual acknowledgement in an editorial, these kinds of comments make me feel like I'm banging my head against the wall.

As the editorial points out, communication was a key issue in last spring's election. A big part of my campaign was holding town information sessions. I believed it was important for residents to express feedback regarding issues facing our town, and the vision I have for our future . Since being elected, I've been pretty vocal on how I interact with the public, and the opportunities available for residents to directly communicate with myself as their Supervisor. It was my intention from the beginning to establish a good relationship with my constituents and make them feel like they had a Supervisor that would listen.

Ways of establishing a good relationship and communication are very tangible. Since taking office I have:

  1. Created a Web blog to keep residents updated
  2. Distributed Town Talk, an issue based newsletter publication that is distributed to town residents
  3. Established office hours every Monday 8—9:30
  4. Regularly posted on The Post-Crescent's community conversation message boards.
  5. Created an email group list to keep residents informed of important issues directly affecting them.
  6. Try to provide answers to residents emails or phone calls within 24 hours. Most of the time, I will personally stop by their house.
  7. Started Supervisor Neighborhood Stops. This is a neighborhood walking tour where I go door to door asking residents if they have any questions or concerns that need to be addressed. My first SNS this fall was very successful; residents were pretty surprised/happy to interact with a supervisor in this format.
I do believe there is another important change in town communication that can be measured, yet may not be obvious to the ordinary observer. Town board meetings are on average lasting much longer than meetings before Sup. Nooyan and I took office. This, I believe, can be attributed to a conscientious effort by myself (and other supervisors) to explain to the public details on agenda items that we as Supervisors receive in our Friday packets.

Does this mean the town board communication is perfect? Definately not. There still is a ways to go, and at times even I get frustrated.

But I am trying to do my part.

Post-Crescent editorial board members are invited to respond in the comments section.