December 12, 2007

Caribou hunting recap

Notice the snow is a little deeper than it is around here.

The antlers may not be trophy-sized, but after driving 32 hours, it was good enough for me. The meat tastes the same anyway, right? Besides, I was informed before I left that mounted caribou heads do not go well with our home decor.

Caribou travel in heards, sometimes upwards of 5000. We were lucky enough to catch the tail end of one, right after we arrived. I heard there was a snowstorm coming in, so my cousin and I didn't want to stick around. We stayed overnight and drove back the next morning. Others in our party stayed and got some nice-sized antlers. They also got a 40 hour truck ride home. If you're ever in the mood to go on a caribou hunting trip, and don't mind spartan conditions (it is the arctic circle, after all) I highly recommend Donat Asselin Caribou Hunting Outfitters.